Our Top 20 Fun Dinosaur Facts
Dinosaurs lived on earth for more than 180 million years and were some of the most huge, powerful and downright strange creatures ever to have lived!
So you know what to expect when visiting the life-like dinosaurs at the amazing Lost Kingdom at Paultons Park, here are some fun facts about these unusual prehistoric creatures.
Would you like to know more about these unusual prehistoric creatures? Amaze your family and friends with these fascinating facts about our life-like dinosaurs before you visit Lost Kingdom at Paultons Park.
- Dinosaurs may have ended up massive, but they all came from eggs.
- It’s believed that birds we see today have evolved from dinosaurs.
- It has recently been discovered that some dinosaurs even had feathers.
- The dinosaur with the longest name was the Micropachycephalosaurus, which means tiny, thick headed lizard!
- Most dinosaurs had very small brains and were about as clever as modern reptiles.
- The word dinosaur comes from the Greek language and means ‘terrible lizard’. They were called this because of their huge size, not because they were particularly terrible!
- Dinosaurs were the biggest animals ever to have walked on earth.
- No one is completely sure how dinosaurs became extinct, but most think that it was because of a massive asteroid (huge rock from space) crashing into the earth, or a gigantic volcanic eruption, or both. It’s still a mystery today.
- The heaviest and longest dinosaur ever discovered was the Argentinosaurus, which reached heights of up to 37 metres!
- The first dinosaur to be named was the Megalosaurus in 1824.
- A person who studies dinosaurs is called a palaeontologist.
- Although they’re known for being massive monsters, many dinosaurs were actually smaller than a turkey.
- The very biggest dinosaurs ate only plants. Those that ate meat were usually much smaller.
- One reason that plant-eating dinosaurs grew so big was because they were so greedy. They could eat a huge amount of food very quickly. Sometimes, they swallowed up whole branches without chewing!
- For their own protection, most plant-eating dinosaurs grew natural weapons like spikes and horns.
- Dinosaurs lived on Earth for a far longer time than humans have, with their family trees stretching back many millions of years.
- Unlike most animals alive these days, dinosaurs weren’t warm OR cold blooded. They were somewhere in between.
- Because dinosaurs were so different to anything alive today, no one is quite sure how long they lived for.
- The largest meat-eating dinosaur that’s been discovered was the Spinosaurus, which was around 50 foot long and spent most of its time in water.
- Dinosaurs lived all across the world. Evidence of dinosaurs have been found on all seven of the world’s continents through the discovery of dinosaur bones and fossils
So there you have it, 20 fascinating dinosaur facts for you to wow your friends and family with!
To learn more about the amazing world of dinosaurs, as well to ride some amazing rollercoasters and come face to face with these prehistoric monsters, be sure to visit the Lost Kingdom at Paultons Park.
Until you’re ready to visit for yourself, you can also get in the mood with our Lost Kingdom Game. It’s wild, dinosaur themed and amazing fun!back to blog